Thursday, April 29, 2010

Question 13: Avoidance

Although we read both chapters 11 and 12, I decided to choose and discuss a concept from chapter 11. Chapter 12, entitled Power in Group Conflict, talked about many different types of conflict resolution strategies and formats. Although we have already discussed a few, one that stood out to me the most was avoidance. “The avoidance strategy entails withdrawing from the conflict.” (Harris, 2008, pg. 237)

This strategy can only work or be positively effective if the avoidance, “is due to lack of information, understanding, or opinion….” (Harris 2008, pg. 237) on the conflict. Otherwise this strategy has a more destructive and negative outcome. People in small groups who implement this concept will only be counterproductive to the team.

I thought this concept was interesting because I know a lot of people that like to use avoidance to elude confrontation. However the problem still exists so there is usually still hostility. I know that I do this at times and now that I am aware, I am going to try to face all of my conflicts in the most effective way possible.

1 comment:

  1. Pocahontas,

    Power in Group Conflict is an interesting topic for discussion. There is a thin line between what people should confront, and what they will not confront. It is unfortunate that people use avoidance other than for the purpose for the "lack of information, understanding, or opinion…" I think that people should only use avoidance if it is 100% necessary. Confrontation is not bad, as long as something is learned. But if we back down because we are afraid, then we will never know what the outcome could have become. I like the fact that you're changing the way you approach confrontation. I believe that that confrontation is a true way to find out the real answer.

    Good post,

    Henry

    ReplyDelete