Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Week 16 Question 1: CMC vs FTF

CMC and FTF communication are two different forms of communication that are used in certain circumstances. Computer mediated communication (CMC) “describes communication that takes place through a variety of media and provides distributed group members with video, audio, and text-based messaging capabilities.” (Harris, 2008, pg. 296) Many people critique CMC because people tend to focus on the tasks rather than trying to also incorporate the social aspect of communication. FTF just simply means face-to-face communication. Many people argue that CMC groups take longer than FTF groups to complete a task. But on the contrary “CMC groups usually perform better than FTF groups on idea-generating tasks, and there is a greater equality of participation in CMC groups.” (Harris, 2008, pg. 297)

Because I have taken several online classes and also in-person classes I have experience with both CMC and FTF. I do not have a preference between the two as I think they both have advantages and disadvantages (as mentioned above) as well as differences. One of the obvious differences is that you cannot physically see who you are communicating with in CMC groups. This can be put the damper on the social aspect of communication. However it can also help to eliminate any prejudices. FTF is the most common form of communication. In this form I believe people are more cooperative and less opinionated because most times people do not want to be “rude” especially when FTF. Although there are many more differences these stand out to me the most.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Pocahontas!

    Nice post, and you bring up a very good point with F2F vs CMC classes. When people ask me what I took this semester, one of the classes I mention is "small group discussion, ONLINE." They always wonder and ask, "how can you take THAT online?" But like you said online classes can eliminate prejudices, as on here we're all the same. I too have taken online and in person classes here and don't have a preference either. In either case it depends more on the instructor teaching the class. I do like the social aspect of in-person classes so that's one thing I miss when I'm in an online class especially when the online class doesn't meet in person at all through the semester. Anyway we're almost done the semester, goooooooood luck with finals!

    -John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pocahontas,

    I have also taken both online and in-person courses throughout my college career. I would agree that there are many advantages and disadvantages of both forms of the classroom. I personally have enjoyed online classes more than face to face classes. My reasons mostly include the convenience of doing the course on my own time and pace. You mentioned that CMC helps eliminate any prejudices that one might have. I would agree with you. I have noticed the difference when I write posts. Without physically seeing other members in the class I do not feel afraid of what others might think.

    ReplyDelete